The California Competes Tax Credit (CCTC) is an income tax credit available to businesses that want to locate in California or stay and grow in California. Businesses of any industry, size, or location compete for over $180 million available in tax credits by applying in one of the three application periods each year. Applicants will be analyzed based on fourteen different factors of evaluation, including number of full-time jobs being created, amount of investment, and strategic importance to the state or region.
Application Period Timeline
For fiscal year 2023-2024, GO-Biz will accept applications for the California Competes Tax Credit during the following periods:
- July 24, 2023 – August 14, 2023
- January 2, 2024 – January 22, 2024
- March 4, 2024 – March 18, 2024
Please refer to the Notice California Competes Tax Credit Fiscal Year 2023-24 for more information.
California Competes Webinar Information
Prior to each application period, GO-Biz hosts online webinars about the California Competes program. Each webinar consists of a 45-minute presentation, followed by a question and answer session. Each presentation includes the following:
- Overview of the program
- Program goals and evaluation criteria
- Step-by-step instructions through the application process
All businesses are encouraged to participate in our webinars to receive instructions on how to apply. Below is a list of our upcoming webinars.
|January 3, 2024
|9:30am – 10:30am PST
|Details and Registration
|January 11, 2024
|3:00pm – 4:00pm PST
|Details and Registration
A recorded webinar of the California Competes Program is available in the Resources section below.
- California Competes Tax Credit Flyer – One page handout for parties interested in the CCTC program.
- California Competes Tax Credit FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions about the California Competes Tax Credit program.
- California Competes PowerPoint – a PowerPoint overview of the California Competes programs.
- California Competes Webinar (recorded) – A recorded webinar of the California Competes program.
- Application Guide – Instructions on how to complete each section of the California Competes application.
- Application Tutorial Videos – 14-video playlist containing detailed instructional videos on how to complete the California Competes applications.
- Tax Credit Awardee List – a comprehensive list of every business that has received a California Competes Tax Credit.
- Grant Awardee List – a comprehensive list of every business that has received a California Competes Grant.
- High Unemployment and Poverty Areas – List of every city and county that qualifies as a high unemployment and/or poverty area for the California Competes applications.
- Taller de inscripción al Programa del Crédito Fiscal California Competes – una descripción general del programa California Competes (Powerpoint).
- Crédito de impuestos California Compite Guía de solicitud – Instrucciones sobre cómo completar cada sección de la solicitud California Competes.
- California Competes Tax Credit Regulations – California Code of Regulations for the California Competes Tax Credit program.
- Franchise Tax Board Compliance Process – PowerPoint overview of the Franchise Tax Board’s books and records review process.
- Franchise Tax Board Grant Recapture Process – PowerPoint overview of the Franchise Tax Board’s recapture process
- Publications – Access to CCTC Agendas, Minutes, and Fiscal Year Notice.
California Competes Tax Credit Committee Members
The California Competes Tax Credit Committee is comprised of the Director of GO-Biz (Chair), the State Treasurer, the Director of the Department of Finance, and two legislative appointees.
Dee Dee Myers (Chair), Director, Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
Fiona Ma, State Treasurer
Joe Stephenshaw, Director, Department of Finance
Todd Walters, Appointee of the Senate Committee on Rules
Madeline Janis, Appointee of the Speaker of the Assembly