California Community Reinvestment Grants Program
09-30-2021: The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) is excited to announce that we received 331 applications for the California Community Reinvestment Grants (CalCRG) program by the September 29, 2021, deadline. The amount of grant funds available for award is $38.4 million, and the total amount of funding requested from the 331 applications submitted is over $147 million. We expect to release Phase 2 of the application on December 13, 2021. Applicants invited to participate in Phase 2 will be informed by email of the Phase 2 deadline.
- Payee Data Record – STD 204 (only for community-based nonprofit organizations)
- Government Agency Taxpayer ID Form (only for local health departments)
- Collaborative Application Declaration (only for collaborative applications)
The CalCRG program was included in The Adult Use of Marijuana Act (Proposition 64), which was approved by California voters on November 8, 2016. In accordance with the proposition, GO-Biz will award grants to local health departments and qualified community-based nonprofit organizations to support the following activities for communities disproportionately affected by past federal and state drug policies, also known as the War on Drugs (WoD):
- Job placement
- Mental health treatment
- Substance use disorder treatment
- System navigation services
- Legal services to address barriers to reentry
- Linkages to medical care
The mission of the CalCRG program is to advance health, wellness, and economic justice for populations and communities harmed by the WoD. The CalCRG program’s guiding principles are that its efforts will be:
- Responsive to and focused on populations and communities disproportionately impacted by the WoD.
- Grounded in science and data, while being receptive to emerging and innovative approaches.
- Advancing whole person, trauma-informed care.
- Accountable to taxpayers and stakeholders.
The CalCRG program is funded by the cannabis excise and cultivation taxes imposed by Revenue and Taxation Code sections 34011 and 34012, respectively. Contingent upon sufficient tax proceeds generated, the funding for the grant program is as follows:
- $40 million in fiscal year 2021-22 (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022)
- $50 million in fiscal year 2022-23 (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023) and each year thereafter
At least 50 percent of the grant funding will be allocated to qualified community-based nonprofit organizations.
For questions or technical assistance about the California Community Reinvestment Grants program, email us or call (916) 322-2683.
If you would like to receive periodic updates about the grant program and future workshops and/or grant solicitations, please subscribe to the California Community Reinvestment Grants program email distribution list by selecting the “Subscribe” button below.